Thursday, September 13, 2012

The most important class for students in any field is Digital Rhetoric. The ability to express your opinions, show off your software skills, create interesting presentations, and show willingness to join in the social networking revolution is paramount to making yourself marketable.

When interviewing for any opening, from night manager Cheeburger Cheeburger to CFO at Wells Fargo, your best shot at holding advantage over your competition is to be fascinating and well rounded.  Hiring managers want to believe that they are not only getting a qualified, educated, socially responsible person for their opening, but they will also look for someone who can add dimension and life to their staff. Creating a personal blog on building tree houses, for example, shows your interviewer that you have interests outside your field of study, that you strive to accomplish goals that are not always financially based, and that you have an active mind - and a willingness to share all these awesome attributes with the world.


Having said that, remember that anything you create digitally is being shared with the WHOLE WORLD.  Not a great idea, then, to complain, whine, shock others, or certainly, dance naked.  Always present your coolest self online. If you're quirky, rock it. Just make sure it's ok for your mom to see your work.

Photo: Brandon Stanton Humans of New York

4 comments:

  1. I like doing video and music editing. I have be doing it for a while personal or helping friends with music. know that i have taken the class Digital Rhetoric i have found a new skill to add to my editing. I would like to get the opportunity to work on a movie to edit or short film and interviews. Who knows?? We will see what comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. film and music are the most powerful artistic media as they reach the widest audience. I think you have a gift for finding / creating effective imagery. You should definitely pursue a larger piece for a topic or story that really engages you.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree that Digital Rhetoric is supremely important for any college student. I myself have learned many things throughout the course of this class. My writing skills are fairly well developed, and I did not expect to learn anything new in a 100 level English class. I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of new information presented in this class. The things I have learned are not how to write, but rather how to express my writing in creative new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you out look on the digital side. It is important for students to learn what they can do and an intelligent teacher to teach them. They need it more than they know. I have learned alot from taking this class and now know more about what it means. I have greatly enjoyed and learned more than I thought. More teachers should be reconized for it.

    ReplyDelete