Monday, September 10, 2012

So, as we produce "higher level thinkers" by sending them to universities, are we producing a more enlightened society? The cost of higher education often first produces massive debt, which needs to be paid in the most expedient way possible, i.e., by taking the first employment offered. Because our economy is based on material retailing, marketing, and purchasing, our most creative thinkers find themselves happy to be the night manager at Costco.  It pays pretty well, and hey, health insurance.

Independent thinkers who might set up businesses find themselves going ever further into debt on the off chance that they will be able to compete with the giant corporate retailers, Starbucks, for example. What's left for critical thinkers to find an independent and useful occupation that might benefit society or at least their community? Maybe the blog is the answer.




Writing an attractive, interesting and useful blog can frequently draw advertising. Remember, a sociopathic college student started facebook. The internet is still wide open for entrepreneurs. The key to success is the same in cyberspace as it was in New York in the 40s. Present a unique perspective that people feel can somehow benefit them, something they want to be a part of.  Market it well using all your rhetorical device (logos, pathos, ethos, kairos)....and work hard to make it irresistible.

Photo courtesy of Humans Of New York, a photographer's fb page with millions of likes. :)


1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm lucky that I have the GI Bill to pay for school, which I should have done while I was serving but oh well. I cannot imagine trying to go to school and going into debt for it. Night manager at Costco actually pays well, better than Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, but definately not what I would strive for once I have my degree. I do like to think of myself as an independent thinker but keeping a blog going is something I don't know if I could keep up. Full time school, almost full time work, two kids under 3 years old, and trying to find time for a date with my wife is really hard to add extras too.

    ReplyDelete